Jun 15, 2009

My Neighbor Totoro

Today I’d like to talk about my favorite cartoon, Hayao Miyazaki’s most famous and successful movie: “My neighbor Totoro”, it is a film which puts a smile on any viewer’s face.Without a doubt, it takes you on one of the most whimsical and fantastic journeys ever. I can say that “My neighbor Totoro” is a kind of “family movie” and watching it kids and adults can enjoy it same time.

This is a story about middle age university professor who moves to live in the countryside with his 2 little daughters- May and Satsuki. Though far from Tokyo, they're now closer to the Shichikokuyama Hospital, where Satsuki and Mei's mother is resident in as she recovers from an illness, and of course this film is about Miazakys most marvelous creation - Totoro, a huge furry creature of the forest, which May discovers in the forest, sleeping nice inside a tree.

This film is full of kindness and happiness in spite of the family’s difficult situation, (mother’s serious illness ). Relations between father and daughters and between sisters are absolutely trusting, for example when May tells her father about Totoro which she has found in the forest, her father is not surprised about her having such a strange experience and just answers that she is really lucky because she has seen Totoro in her life and became his friend, in spite of his knowledge that this is just an imaginary friend. It is a film where we can’t see any moral lessons as other companies usually do, for ex. Disney. It shows just natural way of happy life.

The animation is so detailed, that it sometimes feels even confusing, for example: May’s and Satsuki’s behavior. Mays faces when she sees Totoro and Satsuki’s care for her little sister is really truthful(genuine) and typical of normal 4 and 8 years old girls behavior in life. I have seen lots of different kinds of animation but such detailed as “My neighbor Totoro” and in general as Studio Ghibli’s films, I have never seen(any where else).

In the end I only want to point out: if you see this film once you will fall in love with it for your whole life you will watch it again and again, just as it happened with me.Please nominate me in the Best of the Best Awards


And remeber, please nominate me in the BoB Awards

No comments: